Thursday, August 16, 2007

Time sure seems to fly.

In about 18 minutes, it will officially be "moving day."

Now only 17 minutes.


It's odd to think how fast time has gone by. It always seemed like I had all the time in the world before it was my turn to move out. I watched as my brothers left and I had plenty of time. I watched as my friends started to go and I still had a couple years. I watched as still more friends moved away and I still had a couple days.


but now I'm here, and it's 15 minutes until it is my turn.

Now only 14 minutes.


Today I bought two bottles of shampoo, and I thought about how strange it is that I have to buy that for myself now. How strange it is that I am starting to own my own things. I have furniture now. Yesterday I bought a file cabinet, and it was one of the strangest sensations to know that something I always associated with my parents and the working world would soon occupy my room. A room that is in a town where I don't know the names of streets or businesses. A town that I will move to tomorrow.


a tomorrow that will be here in 10 minutes.

Now only 9 minutes.


I have dishes now. Two plates, two forks, two knives, and two spoons. I have a telephone with an answering machine. When I was little, I always wanted to be the voice on the answering machine saying that we weren't home, but my dad wouldn't let me.


But in 7 minutes, the day will be here when that voice can be me.

Now only 6 minutes.


I packed up my video games. Took them out of the basement and put them in my footlocker. And as I started going up the stairs, the basement looked very empty. No empty soda cans, video game cables, or game cartridges on the floor. It looked just like a basement. Like storage.


All the youthful parts of the house are coming away with me in 4 minutes.

Now only 3 minutes.


I had to say goodbye tonight, and it was really difficult. I am going to miss you all so much. I love you all so much.


But I have to go; in 2 minutes.

Now only 1 minute.


It's 11:59 and I have 1 minute left until the day that I move out of my house. And I want you to know that I am both excited and terrified; both happy and sad. But no matter what, I'm me. And I hope to God that I'll stay me. Because such a big part of me is you guys. My friends who love me no matter what. I miss you all already. But I know we'll be ok. I know we'll still be together.


I know that with friends like you, I'll be me, and I'll be ok.

I know that because it's 12:02.


We made it through the first two minutes, and the way that time seems to fly, we can easily make it through the rest. But until then, know this:

You have all been such a blessing in my life thus far and I know that you will continue to be. You make me who I am.

And right now, five minutes into my moving day, it seemed like a good time to say thank you.

Love always,
jim.

No comments: